Wiggin and Dana has a longstanding tradition of commitment to Pro Bono service. This commitment is engrained in our firm culture and a matter of personal and professional satisfaction for our attorneys. Through Pro Bono work, our associates and partners help individuals and organizations in need, support causes of personal interest, diversify their professional experiences, and give back to the communities in which we live and work.
We are proud that our Pro Bono efforts have been recognized by organizations committed to securing the rights of the neediest and to fighting intolerance and discrimination. Our Pro Bono program has been honored for its work by the Pro Bono Partnership (2013), the Connecticut Bar Association (2013), and the Anti-Defamation League (2013). In 2014 the firm worked on 109 Pro Bono matters and received awards from Connecticut Legal Services and New Haven Legal Assistance Association, the two largest legal aid organizations in Connecticut.
We provide Pro Bono services across a spectrum of matters, including landlord-tenant proceedings; family law hearings; political asylum cases; corporate, governance and tax work for non-profit organizations; criminal trials and appeals; and civil rights litigation. Our recent Pro Bono clients include:
- Individuals referred by New Haven Legal Assistance Association, Statewide Legal Services, the Pro Bono Partnership, Human Rights First, and the Connecticut Veteran's Legal Center
- Connecticut Civil Liberties Union, the American Civil Liberties Union, and the Anti-Defamation League on constitutional matters, including briefing to the U.S. Supreme Court
- Corporate counsel for The Ronald McDonald House, All Our Kin, and Long Wharf Theatre
- Community development and economic revitalization programs such as The Enterprise Center in New Haven, Commence! College Counseling in Bridgeport, and Nutmeg Big Brothers Big Sisters in Hartford
- Lawyers for Children America and the Center for Children's Advocacy, representing abused and neglected children in juvenile court proceedings
- Civil and criminal appeals and trials referred to us by federal judges from the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, the District of Connecticut, and by the State Public Defender's Office
Our Pro Bono clients receive the same high-quality legal work and support as our paying clients.
We further promote and advance the firm's Pro Bono efforts by hosting Pro Bono training programs and annually awarding a Pro Bono Achievement Award to a partner and associate who show outstanding dedication to, and achievements in Pro Bono work. The firm makes monetary contributions to worthy organizations on behalf and at the direction of the awardees.
For more information about our Pro Bono program, we encourage you to review our Pro Bono newsletter, For the People, which is accessible from this page.