Wiggin and Dana supports and encourages its attorneys to actively participate in approved Pro Bono matters. Through Pro Bono work, our attorneys are able to help clients in need, support causes of personal interest, and diversify their professional experience. With appropriate supervision, junior attorneys often receive direct client contact and responsibility for important matters early in their career.
We provide Pro Bono services across a spectrum of matters including landlord-tenant proceedings, family law hearings, political asylum cases, corporate and tax work for non-profit start-ups, criminal trials and appeals, and civil rights litigation. Our recent Pro Bono clients include:
- Referrals from New Haven Legal Assistance Association, the Pro Bono Partnership, Connecticut Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, and Human Rights First
- Greater New Haven Community Loan Fund, which issues loans to finance inner-city housing
- Connecticut Civil Liberties Union, the NAACP, and the Anti-Defamation League on constitutional matters, including briefing to the U.S. Supreme Court
- Corporate counsel for The Ronald McDonald House, Guiding Eyes for the Blind, and the Lymphatic Research Foundation
- Community development and economic revitalization programs seeking tax-exempt status, such as The Enterprise Center in New Haven
- Lawyers for Children America, representing abused and neglected children in juvenile court proceedings
- Civil and criminal cases referred to us by federal judges from the Second Circuit Court of Appeals and the District of Connecticut
Since our Pro Bono clients receive the same high-quality legal work, and support as our paying clients, we only accept a Pro Bono matter if it is first approved by our Pro Bono Committee.
The Pro Bono Committee further promotes and advances the firm's Pro Bono efforts by hosting Pro Bono training programs and awarding a Pro Bono Achievement Award annually to a partner and associate who show outstanding dedication to and achievements in Pro Bono work.
As demonstrated by our longstanding tradition of and commitment to public service, Pro Bono work is an important part of our firm culture and a matter of personal and professional satisfaction for our attorneys.