Abe is a Partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. His practice spans all aspects of patent law, including representing and counseling clients in patent disputes throughout the U.S., whether brought in the District Courts, in various arbitration forums, or in proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
As a former research scientist with a Ph. D. in physics and more than 15 years of research and development (R & D) experience at several prominent research laboratories, Abe has made use of his unique background to handle all aspects of high-tech patent disputes, including disputes involving electronics, optics, lasers, semiconductor processing, computer technology, and materials science.
In addition to litigating in various forums, he uses his deep and sophisticated legal and scientific knowledge to strategically counsel clients in all their IP needs, including patent procurement and the preparation of opinions pertaining to infringement and invalidity of complex patents.
His scientific background and unique perspective have been instrumental in helping his clients succeed in complex patent litigations and licensing disputes. For example, his team recently
- Helped an aeronautics client win a patent infringement case by successfully advancing on appeal to the Federal Circuit a key issue of patent claim interpretation that resulted in reversal of a district court ruling.
- Helped a global brand-name electronics manufacturer dismiss a patent infringement suit concerning geospatial location technology.
- Convinced the Patent Trial and Appeal Board to initiate an Inter Partes Review of a client’s patent in a landmark medical device case.
Abe writes from time to time about significant patent issues, including the patentability of software inventions, for publications such as The Federal Circuit Bar Journal and Practical Law.
Abe received his J.D. cum laude from New York Law School, where he is an adjunct professor. He received a Ph.D. in physics from New York University and a B.S. magna cum laude in physics from The City College of New York.
- New York Law School (J.D., 1985)
- cum laude
- New York University (Ph.D., 1972)
- City College of New York (B.S., 1966)
- magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- New Jersey
- New York
- Registered to practice before US Patent and Trademark Office
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US District Court (District of New Jersey)
- US District Court (Eastern District of New York)
- US District Court (Southern District of New York)
Memberships and Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association