Wiggin and Dana handles major business disputes for a broad range of commercial clients. The matters vary widely from routine contract disputes to bet-the-company litigation. To best serve the client's needs we invest time in understanding the industry and the business environment in which the client operates. In addition to prosecuting or defending commercial cases in courts and arbitral tribunals throughout the Northeast and elsewhere, the firm's commercial litigators regularly counsel clients regarding disputes in order to find cost-effective solutions without having to resort to litigation
A representative sample of disputed matters is set forth below.
Representative Commercial Disputes
- Represented a United States company engaged in the construction of an electric infrastructure in conflict zones and other difficult areas of the world in an ICC international arbitration involving a dispute with a subcontractor regarding a power plant constructed outside of Kabul.
- Represented Judge Judy in an action to stop a Connecticut attorney from using her image for promotional purposes.
- Prosecuted an ERISA claim on behalf of a global insurance company against out-of-state health care providers for the submission of fraudulent claims.
- Represented one of the world's largest manufacturers of doors in a dispute concerning a distribution and licensing agreement.
- Represented an international manufacturer of precision bearings, primarily for the aerospace and defense markets, in a range of complex contractual disputes with vendors, purchasers, and distributors.
- Represented two New York City academic health care centers in licensing disputes with software companies.
- Represented a global security company in a $20 million earn out arbitration relative to its acquisition of a portion of a large ATM service provider.
- Represented a large bank in a dispute concerning its purchase of a credit card portfolio from another bank involving claims of fraud and breaches of representations and warranties.