Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) Seminar
Wiggin and Church Haven, CT 06510
A section of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, called the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH), contains provisions imposing new HIPAA requirements on covered entities and business associates. Business associates must now comply with the HIIPAA Security Rule and are subject to new privacy requirements and regulatory penalties for violations. HITECH also contains increased sanctions for violations, expands the enforcement authority of the Office for Civil Rights, and permits state attorneys general to enforce HIPAA as well. Some of the new requirements, such as the breach notification regulations promulgated on August 24, 2009, have already gone into effect, with others to follow through and following February, 2010.
The seminar will:
- Provide an overview of the new requirements for covered entities and business associates
- Describe the steps business associates will need to take to come into compliance with the HIPAA Security Rule
- Review the new privacy requirements for business associates
- Discuss whether business associate agreements must be revised or amended
- Detail the new enforcement provisions of the law and the increased penalties
- Discuss some of the challenges around interpreting and implementing the new requirements
- Consider the importance of overall HIPAA compliance in light of the breach notification requirements and new enforcement provisions
For further information, please contact Brenda Jacobson at 203.498.4341 or [email protected].