Termination Alternatives in Tough Economic Times (or any Time?)
43rd Annual IFA Legal Symposium, May 16-18, 2010
Monday, May 17, 2010, 2:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 1:30 - 2:45 p.m.
Difficult financial times challenge franchisors to develop even more creative approaches to addressing non-compliance by franchisees. This program examines strategies other than termination that franchisors can employ to deal with franchisee non-compliance and focuses on alterantive approaches to resolving disputes other than abruptly terminating the franchise relationship. Subjects to be examined include, among others:
- Negotiating mutually agreeable exit strategies
- Negotiating on-going relationship strategies
- Initiating legal proceedings to collect unpaid monies due the franchisor
- Obtaining injunctions to compel compliance (monetary and non-monetary)
- Possible pitfalls of forgoing or delaying termination.
Harris Chernow, Partner, Chernow Katz LLC
Sandra Gibbs, Corporate Counsel, Goddard Systems
Bethany Appleby, Partner, Wiggin and Dana LLP