Jim is Counsel in Wiggin and Dana's Litigation Department in the firm’s New Haven office. Over his career, Jim has litigated a wide variety of cases, including product liability, medical liability and health law, and serious personal injury. In addition, Jim has represented hedge funds and other commercial clients in a variety of commercial litigation matters, ranging from mortgage-backed security disputes to international financial transactions.
Jim is a former President of the Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association and a longtime member of the Defense Research Institute (DRI). He currently serves on DRI’s Drug and Medical Device and Medical Liability and Health Law Steering Committee. DRI awarded Jim the 2012–2013 Exceptional Performance Citation.
Before joining Wiggin and Dana, Jim served in the U.S. Army as a trial counsel in the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, Fourth Infantry Division (Mechanized). As a Judge Advocate, he received a parachutist badge, and he was awarded the Army Achievement Medal and Meritorious Service Medal during his military service.
Jim received his J.D. cum laude from Case Western Reserve University School of Law, where he was a member of the Case Western Reserve Law Review, the Dean's Tutorial Society, and Health Matrix: The Journal of Law-Medicine. He earned his B.A. in Economics and Political Science from Dickinson College, where he was a captain of the varsity soccer team.
Jim is an elected member of the Connecticut Bar Association (CBA) House of Delegates and has served on the CBA's Legislative Policy and Review Committee for three terms. He is also a member of the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys and the International Association of Defense Counsel.
Jim is active in the local community and dedicated to pro bono service. The Connecticut Bar Association awarded him the Honorable Anthony V. DeMayo Pro Bono Award, and Wiggin and Dana similarly recognized him in 2008 with that year's Pro Bono Achievement Award.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D., 1994)
- cum laude
- Dickinson College (B.A., Economics and Political Science, 1990)
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court (District of Connecticut)
- US Supreme Court
- Recipient of Wiggin and Dana's Pro Bono Award for litigation work for Statewide Legal Services and New Haven Legal Assistance clients
Memberships and Affiliations
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Committee on the Judicial Performance Evaluation Program
- Connecticut Bar Association
- House of Delegates
- Litigation Section
- eDiscovery Task Force
- Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association
- President, 2012-2013
- Defense Research Institute
- Chair, March 2011 Medical Liability and Health Law Meeting
- Co-Chair of DRI's Medical Liability and Health Law Subcommittee on Obstetrical Law
- Vice Chair, February 2010 Medical Liability and Health Law Meeting
- New Haven County Bar Foundation
- Board of Directors
- Grant Making Committee
- Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce Leadership Program Advisory Board