Joe is a Partner in the Litigation Department and focuses his practice on complex civil litigation and arbitration. He represents corporations, privately-held companies, and individuals. He has significant experience in securities class actions, family-owned business litigation, partnership disputes, breach of contract claims, business torts, and other commercial litigation. Joe represents clients in many industries, including technology, health care, pharmaceutical, franchise, investment management, real estate, and others. Clients rely on his big-picture perspective, reasoned advice, and vigorous advocacy.
Notable experience includes:
- Defending a publicly-traded corporation and its senior executives in a securities class action and related derivative lawsuits regarding the company’s compliance practices.
- Defending a bank in multiple lawsuits and government investigations regarding the Madoff Ponzi scheme.
- Representing an international healthcare company in litigation over a terminated joint venture.
- Representing a global franchise company in litigation brought by an investor.
- Representing an owner of urgent care centers in litigation against a business partner for breach of fiduciary duty and misuse of company assets.
- Representing the majority owner of a portfolio of real estate companies in litigation with minority-stake investors.
- Defending a broker-dealer in multiple lawsuits and FINRA arbitrations concerning the actions of a former employee.
- Representing a technology company in arbitration regarding unpaid milestone and royalty payments pursuant to an asset purchase agreement.
- Representing for-profit and non-profit companies in property tax appeals and commercial lease disputes.
Joe has been recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a "Future Star" and was named to its first "Under 40 Hot List." The Connecticut Law Tribune named him a "New Leader in the Law" and he has been selected by New England Super Lawyers in the area of business litigation.
Joe is active in local, state, and national bar organizations. He is Co-chair of the Securities Litigation Subcommittee of the American Bar Association's Commercial & Business Litigation Committee, and he is on the editorial board of the Committee's newsletter. He serves on the Executive Committee of the New Haven County Bar Association, is involved in the New Haven Inn of Court, and is a member of the Connecticut Bar Association's Federal Practice Section.
He also devotes significant time to pro bono service as a volunteer attorney for the Connecticut Veterans Legal Center and as court-appointed counsel for indigent inmates.
Joe clerked at the Connecticut Supreme Court for Justice Christine S. Vertefeuille and at the U.S. District Court for the District of Washington, D.C. for Judge Richard W. Roberts. He graduated with honors from the University of Connecticut School of Law, where he was an Articles Editor for the Connecticut Law Review. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Iowa.
- University of Connecticut School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- with honors
- University of Iowa (Bachelor of Business Administration, Accounting, 1998)
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US District Court (District of Connecticut)
- US District Court (District of Massachusetts)
- US District Court (Eastern District of New York)
- US District Court (Southern District of New York)
- Benchmark Litigation (2016-2018).
- Connecticut Law Tribune "New Leader in the Law" for 2015.
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV Preeminent" peer review rating.
- New England Super Lawyers 2014 - 2018.
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Co-Chair of the Securities Litigation Subcommittee of the Commercial & Business Litigation Committee; Editorial Board of the Committee's quarterly newsletter
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Federal Practice Section
- New Haven County Bar Association
- Executive Committee
- New Haven Inn of Court