Joe is a Partner in the Litigation Department and focuses his practice on complex civil litigation and arbitration. He represents corporations, privately-held companies, and individuals. He has significant experience in securities class actions, partnership and joint venture disputes, shareholder demands, contract claims, business torts, and other commercial litigation. Clients rely on his big-picture perspective, reasoned advice, and vigorous advocacy.
Notable recent experience includes:
- Defending a financial services company and its executives in a securities class action.
- Representing a global healthcare company in litigation over a terminated joint venture.
- Bringing claims against the majority owner of a closely-held company for fiduciary breaches and mismanagement.
- Defending a pharmaceutical company in a product liability lawsuit.
- Defending a broker-dealer in litigation regarding an alleged Ponzi scheme.
Joe was named a "Future Star" by Benchmark Litigation and named to its inaugural "Under 40 Hot List." He was recognized as a "New Leader in the Law" by Connecticut Law Tribune and selected by New England Super Lawyers in the area of business litigation.
Joe is active in local, state, and national bar organizations. He is Co-chair of the Securities Litigation Subcommittee of the American Bar Association's Commercial & Business Litigation Committee, and he is on the editorial board of the Committee's newsletter. He serves on the Executive Committee of the New Haven County Bar Association, is involved in the New Haven Inn of Court, and is a member of the Connecticut Bar Association's Federal Practice Section.
He also devotes significant time to pro bono service as a volunteer attorney for the Connecticut Veterans Legal Center and as court-appointed counsel for indigent inmates.
Joe clerked at the Connecticut Supreme Court for Justice Christine S. Vertefeuille and at the U.S. District Court for the District of Washington, D.C. for Judge Richard W. Roberts. He graduated with honors from the University of Connecticut School of Law, where he was an Articles Editor for the Connecticut Law Review. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Iowa.
- University of Connecticut School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- with honors
- University of Iowa (B.Achelor of Business Administration, Accounting, 1998)
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US District Court (District of Connecticut)
- US District Court (District of Massachusetts)
- US District Court (Eastern District of New York)
- US District Court (Southern District of New York)
- Benchmark Litigation "Under 40 Hot List," awarded to lawyers age 40 and under for their distinguished achievements in the legal profession.
- Connecticut Law Tribune "New Leader in the Law" for 2015.
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV Preeminent" peer review rating.
- New England Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in Business Litigation (2014) and Class Action and Mass Torts (2015).
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Co-Chair of the Securities Litigation Subcommittee of the Commercial & Business Litigation Committee; Editorial Board of the Committee's quarterly newsletter
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Federal Practice Section
- New Haven County Bar Association
- Executive Committee
- New Haven Inn of Court