Ken is a Partner in Wiggin and Dana’s Litigation Department and Intellectual Property Practice Group. He has more than 25 years of experience in cross border dispute resolution, intellectual property litigation and licensing, IP asset management and valuation, and counseling matters.
Ken has represented diverse international clients including clients engaged in cryptocurrency exchanges, semiconductor and OLED manufacturing, telecommunications and mobile telephony, biomedical devices, optical disc storage technologies and others.
In addition to handling intellectual property matters in the United States, Ken’s experience is international in scope and spans to Europe and the Far East. Ken has worked overseas as a U.S. attorney at South Korea’s most prestigious law firm; spent about a decade working “in-house” in the Intellectual Property and Standards group of Philips Electronics and as a patent assertion attorney for AT&T Corp. specializing in offensive patent assertion and licensing matters. Ken frequently:
- Designs and implements international intellectual property licensing programs for clients to withstand antitrust scrutiny by foreign and domestic regulators.
- Designs, prepares and executes global litigation strategies to leverage diverse legal systems to assist clients realize their business objectives.
- Participates in direct licensing negotiations in support of his clients.
- Represents clients in patent pools as well as new patent pool formation.
- Defends clients against third party patent assertions while balancing exposure and risk.
- Advises clients on intellectual property asset identification and acquisition.
Ken has been recognized by IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals (2013-2018) as one of the world’s leading patent professionals by IAM; Who’s Who Legal: Patents (2014-2018); Managing Intellectual Property: Named an “IP Star” (2014-2018); and IAM Licensing 250 as one of the world’s leading patent and technology licensing practitioners, IAM (2010-2012).
Ken is a former member of the Board of Directors (2013-2016) of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) and a former Chairman of the IP Practice in the Far East committee; a member of the Asia Practice Committee of the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO); and a member of the International Association of Korean Lawyers (IAKL) where he served as the chairman of the Board of Directors and past President. Ken also served on the Board of Directors for the Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York (KALAGNY). Ken is a trained mediator through the New York State Office of Court Administration.
Ken earned his J.D. from Rutgers School of Law, and his B.S.E.E. from Rutgers College of Engineering.
- Rutgers School of Law (J.D., 1990)
- Rutgers College of Engineering (B.S.E.E., 1987)
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office