Representative marine insurance matters include:
- Represented insurers of automated underwater vehicle in salvage dispute concerning extent of damage caused by collision.
- Represented owners and insurers of custom-built racing yacht in claims against shipyard, classification society and others for defects in design and construction.
- Represented subrogated insurers of mega-yacht in recover action against shipyard following total loss of yacht by fire while undergoing refit.
- Represented numerous owners and insurers of yachts in various claims involving hull and machinery damage, salvage, personal injuries sustained by crew members, passengers and third parties.
- Represented reinsurers of a shipyard in dispute concerning claim for defects in construction of vessels, relating to proportion of risk ceded under reinsurance contract.
- Represented various hull and machinery, war risk, and kidnap and ransom underwriters in connection with seizures of various vessels by pirates off the coast of Somalia and elsewhere.
- Represented insurers of an integrated tug-barge unit in connection with claim for CTL due to damage to barge only.
- Represented owners and insurers of container vessels in claims against shipyard for defective repairs.
- Represented insurers of cargo vessels in claims against shippers for damage to vessel and cargo caused by improper stowage of hazardous cargo.
- Represented charterers legal liability underwriters in litigation against shippers of project cargo which broke loose during ocean voyage causing damage to vessel and other cargo.
- Successfully defended reinsurers in proceeding concerning scope and applicability of offset provision in marine excess of loss treaty with solvent European subsidiary of U.S. cedent in liquidation.
- Represented reinsurers regarding the proper application of quota share and facultative reinsurances to extra-contractual losses arising out of the settlement of a multi-million dollar verdict concerning the death of two teenagers who were killed when the underlying insured's boat collided with their jet ski.
- Successfully represented underwriters seeking to recover damages in excess of $40 million, following the alleged fraud by their insured, a broker of marine cargo.