Michael has decades of experience in litigating insurance disputes and providing practical advice on a range of complex commercial matters both domestic and international.
Michael has successfully represented insurers and reinsurers in numerous defense, coverage, and regulatory matters issues across all business lines. He also has a broad commercial litigation background, particularly in the areas of international contract disputes, commercial fraud, products liability, and asbestos. He litigates and arbitrates disputes in insurance and in facultative and treaty reinsurance, including follow-the-fortunes issues, commutations, allocation, aggregation, number of occurrences, rescission, offset, pre-hearing security, insolvency, contract wording, and fraud. Michael also represents carriers and product manufacturers in class action lawsuits, defending them against such claims as vanishing premium policies, unfair trade practices, computer defects, and violations of federal and state environmental laws.
For example, Michael recently
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar medical malpractice award on behalf of reinsurers in a heavily contested arbitration, which included recovery of clients' attorneys' fees due to cedent's bad faith.
- Successfully defended claims by a Long Island developer seeking additional insured coverage under an excess umbrella policy issued to our client's insured—the general contractor—accused of faulty workmanship in the construction of a $70 million Long Island apartment complex. The case involved multi-court proceedings in New York, Colorado, and Massachusetts.
- Successfully defended claims in Bermuda Form arbitration against D & O excess carrier by its insured seeking over $18 million in expenses and attorneys' fees related to losses incurred in multiple securities class actions arising from the insured's alleged manipulation of the California energy market.
- Oversaw mediation efforts on behalf of an excess carrier with $30 million of potential exposure for its insured's alleged negligence in erection/construction of a steel mesh roofing system of a water treatment plant at a major university that resulted in the death of a crane operator and severe injuries to multiple co-workers.
Michael has appeared before courts and arbitration panels throughout the U.S. and has assisted in proceedings before various tribunals in the U.K., where he practiced as a solicitor for four years. He still works with London insurance clients and is a licensed solicitor in the U.K. The Connecticut Bar Foundation recently named Michael a James W. Cooper Fellow for outstanding lawyers, judges, and teachers of law.
Before joining the firm, Michael practiced for several years with Edwards Wildman. Prior to that, he practiced with Dewey & LeBoeuf in its Hartford and London offices. He received his J.D. with honors from the University of Connecticut School of Law, where he served as Editor-in-Chief at the Connecticut Journal of International Law. He received his A.B. in English from Dartmouth College and an M.A. in Liberal Arts from St. John's College in Annapolis.
Michael serves on the Board of Selectmen in Redding, Connecticut and as a board member of the Connecticut Lottery Corporation. Michael is a former Chair of the Connecticut Judicial Selection Commission. Michael is listed in the current edition of the Legal Media Group Guides to the World's Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers.
- University of Connecticut School of Law (J.D.)
- With Honors
- St. John's College (M.A.)
- Dartmouth College (A.B.)
- England and Wales
Memberships and Affiliations
- Michael's term as Chairman of the Connecticut Judicial Selection Commission, recently concluded. He was appointed to the Commission by Connecticut Governor M. Jodi Rell in 2008.
- Michael was recently appointed by Governor Dannel P. Malloy to serve on the Board of Directors of the Connecticut Lottery Corporation.
- Michael was appointed by Chief Justice Chase Rogers of the Connecticut Supreme Court to serve on the Connecticut Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee.
- Michael is a member of the Board of Selectman in Redding, Connecticut.
- Michael previously served as Chairman of the Redding Zoning Board of Appeals.
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Law Society of England & Wales