We have a long history of partnering with our clients to provide product liability services ranging from pre-litigation risk assessment and avoidance counseling to the defense of complicated and lengthy jury trials and appeals. Recipient of the Connecticut Law Tribune's 2015 Litigation Department of the Year Award for Product Liability, we have had broad and deep experience with a wide array of products, including aircraft and component parts, prescription drugs and medical devices, motor vehicles, sporting equipment, cosmetics, industrial machines, elevators, and power tools. This has enabled us to assist our clients with the successful resolution of product matters for over 50 years.
For example, we have earned a national reputation defending drug companies and medical device manufacturers such as Bayer, Merck, Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Medtronic, and AstraZeneca in litigation, often in collaboration with other law firms across the country. In 2012, we were asked to be part of the trial team that ultimately secured a defense verdict in a three-week pharmaceutical product liability wrongful death trial. We also recently assisted in securing pretrial dismissals of over 70 personal injury cases involving a popular antibiotic. As a member of the national defense teams involving well-known pharmaceuticals, we have been on science and sales/marketing defense groups, defending client depositions in the United States and abroad. We also have been active in affirmative discovery and depositions of patients, treating and prescribing physicians, and other experts. Our lawyers were chosen by the Product Liability Advisory Council to file an amicus brief in support of Connecticut's adoption of the learned intermediary doctrine before the Connecticut Supreme Court.
Similarly, we have represented clients in the aviation industry, including, among others, Alcoa, Aerospatiale, Cessna, General Dynamics, General Electric Company, Litton Industries/Northrop Grumman, Pratt & Whitney, and Sikorsky Aircraft. Our lawyers have defended aircraft and component part manufacturers, commercial carriers, and insurers in connection with accidents occurring throughout the United States as well as in Europe and Asia. For example, we recently led the defense of a major aviation equipment manufacturer in multi-district litigation arising out of a helicopter accident in the United States, assisting the client with the pretrial resolution of numerous actions, and serving as lead trial counsel in a related six-week jury trial.
Additional representative assignments:
- Counseled international manufacturer of embryonic imaging device concerning United States product liability law.
- Monitored nationwide litigation on behalf of Swedish insurer of welding rod manufacturer.
- Defended industrial wax manufacturer in benzene exposure case involving death allegedly resulting from workplace exposure to client's product.
- Defended manufacturer of aortic valve tissue processor in action alleging wrongful death.
- Defended engine manufacturer in wrongful death actions arising out of accident during United States military exercises in Italy.
- Defended international pharmaceutical company in mass tort litigation involving a popular statin, including membership on the national science team.
- Defended manufacturer of a chemotherapy infusion device in personal injury action.
- Defended well-known hair products manufacturer in death case brought on behalf of hair salon owner.
- Defended helicopter manufacturer in death and property damage actions arising out of heli-logging accident.
- Defended beer keg manufacturer in death case brought on behalf of decedent who was fatally injured from explosion of beer keg thrown into a fire at an outdoor party.
- Defended international pharmaceutical company in mass tort litigation involving oral contraceptive, and was a member of the national sales and marketing team.
- Defended air conditioning manufacturer in action regarding toxic mold.
- Defended door and lock manufacturer as national lead counsel in actions regarding fire doors.