CBA - Patent Law Fundamentals for Attorneys
Patent law continues to grow in importance as more businesses are focused on applications of the new high technologies. More than ever, attorneys today must understand the basic principles of patent law in order to counsel their business clients properly. This seminar will present basic concepts of patent law, including patentable subject matter (including business methods), formal requirements for patent applications, inventorship, ownership, and understanding the “scope” of an invention. Alternatives to patent protection, as well as licenses and other contractual issues, will also be discussed.
Who Should Attend
This seminar is designed as an introduction for attorneys with limited experience in patent law, and as a review and update for those who need to reacquaint themselves with intellectual property concepts.
Benefits of Attending
You will learn:
- Roots of Patent Law; constitutional grant.
- Patentable subject matter.
- Basic requirements for a patent: utility, novelty, obviousness; written description.
- Types of patents…which is best?
- How to read a patent.
- Patent term.
- Legal scope of a claimed invention.
- Foreign patents.
- Alternatives to patent protection.