HIPAA Updates - New Rule Protects Patient Privacy, Secures Health Information
CCPA Office, 35 Cold Springs Rd., Suite 522, Rocky Hill, CT 06067
Wiggin and Dana Health Care lawyers, Michelle DeBarge and Jody Erdfarb, will be presenting at the Connecticut Community Providers Association's (CCPA) HIPAA Updates seminar. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recently strengthened the privacy and security protections for health information established under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). The final omnibus rule implements provisions of the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, enhances privacy protections, and strengthens the government's ability to enforce the law. During this seminar, Michelle and Jody will address the requirements of the HITECH Act and the clarifications and changes contained in the omnibus rule, which:
- Expand the Security Rule and certain privacy requirements to business associates and subcontractors of business associates that receive or maintain protected health information.
- Modify the Breach Notification Requirements by clarifying when breaches of unsecured health information must be reported by covered entities and business associates.
- Provide the public with increased control over the disclosure of protected health information
- Establish new requirements concerning the use and disclosure of protected health information for marketing and fundraising purposes.
- Loosen restrictions on compound research authorizations and authorizations for future research.
For more information about this seminar, please click here.