HR Circle: Wage and Hour Update
As 2015 nears completion, it is time to reflect on what has been a fascinating year of activity in the area of wage and hour law. From the Department of Labor's full court press against misclassified independent contractors and unpaid interns to potentially game-changing revisions of the executive, administrative, professional, and highly compensated employee exemptions under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the time has come to make sense of, and plan for, a rapidly changing landscape. This complimentary HR Circle program will address:
· Critical distinctions between employees, independent contractors;
· When, if ever, unpaid internships are lawful;
· How the "economic realities" test should influence worker classification decisions;
· Why exempt vs. non-exempt designations really matter;
· Important proposed changes to the FLSA's executive, administrative, professional, and highly compensated employee exemptions;
· Interactions with workers who have filed wage and hour claims against your company; and
· Potential roadblocks to quick and confidential resolutions of wage and hour claims.
Labor and Employment attorneys Mary Gambardella and Larry Peikes will address these topics and discuss what employers need to know. This program will be beneficial to managers, in-house counsel, human resources professionals, benefits administrators, and legal staff alike.